Saturday, November 19, 2011

my first bunting.

This morning I got started on my last Thanksgiving project. I'm now done with the November-touches in our home, and I am [more than] ready to welcome December and all the festivities and decorations.

Here's the latest project, a thankful bunting:


I always want to share my inspiration for projects with you because I think the designer should get the glory, but it seems I saw my inspiration, forgot to "pin" it to my pinterest boards, and now it has completely escaped me. I searched for it amongst the blogs I read, but just can't seem to locate it. The original design was a printable bunting in blue lettering on white cardstock. I loved the simplicity of the design and decided to implement that simple look even more so by free-handing the letters and sticking with just pencil.

I started by cutting triangles out of cardstock. My little secret: we have way too many leftover thank you notecards from our wedding, and, although I've been using them lately to send out notes, I don't think my recipients really love getting a card that says "Mr. and Mrs." on the front when really it's just a note from the Mrs. So I cut the triangles out of these notecards to reuse them, and [once again] create a free project. Then I drew the letters lightly with pencil and filled them in darker when I was satisfied with all of them, using pencil again.

It was my first time stitching together a bunting, and I sure was nervous about it. I let the sewing machine catch a few stitched (5-7) between each triangle, then fed in the next piece. Make sure, if you try a bunting, to pull the feed line before and after your pieces to make sure you have string available by which to hang your banner.

I was going to place my bunting over my thankful tree, but decided, since it makes me so happy, it needed to be more prominently hung. So it found a home right over our TV to make me smile and remind me of what I've been trying to work on all month.


Philippians 4:6 "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." (NASB)

I could have been anxious this month. We had a lot of questionable variables in our family and life happen, but I chose to be thankful instead. I chose to concentrate upon what God has blessed me with as I brought the issues on my heart before Him. It was not an easy thing to do, and I often wanted to worry or have a spirit of fear, but I knew [and I know] He had a plan. He has control.

And so with this in mind, I will choose to remain thankful, even outside of this Thanksgiving season. I will remember how special this month was to me because it brought me trials, but it also brought me a new perspective on life.

with peace.


linking up with:




5 comments:

  1. Loving your understated bunting! (And the bookshelf on the left...) Thanks for joining in with my blogiversary giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, great reminder! LOve the verse too! thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found ya through Eva. Loved stopping by your blog! I will be back :) Newest friend/follower :) Come stop by Joy N Jesus when you get a chance :) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bunting turned out great! I have a serious addiction to banners. :) Well done.

    ReplyDelete