Sunday, January 8, 2012

la sencillez de Sunday [love light]

Simple Craft: Love Light
Supplies needed: paper, markers/pens, clear cylinder or rectangular prism vase, candle

As I was reading the blogs I subscribe to this week, I saw an idea and instantly thought, 'That's what I'm making this week for la sencillez de Sunday.'

click for source



I know you might think it is too early to start thinking about Valentine's Day decor, but this is something simple and little, and it just might get you in the lovey-dovey mood. Valentine's Day is only a month away, so it's not really that early.

Here is my version of the love light:



It really is a simple craft; maybe the simplest of all. Take some paper (I used lined paper) and draw, doodle, or write things that seem Valentine-y to you. I chose to write a bunch of reasons I love my Mr.

Seeing the lamp in sepia makes me wish it was even more simple looking, just black ink on white paper. But I really do love this little decoration, because (as always) I need a centerpiece for my dining room table and I like to keep them seasonal.

Simple Truth: Today's simple truth is taken from my own personal Bible-reading/journalling time from this week. I was reading Zechariah 8 (I'm working my way through the end of the Old Testament) when God is telling about His promise of restoration for His people in Jerusalem. He promises children joyfully playing on the streets, bountiful harvests in the fields, celebratory festivals, and that people from all nations will travel just to be a part of what He will be doing. Then in Zechariah 8:6, God says, "All this may seem impossible to you now, ... but is it impossible for me?" Sometimes when we are amidst adversity, the promise of a time of peace and joy seems impossible. We don't think that anything positive or uplifting can possibly come from or after what we are going through right now. But God promises up rebirth after death, beauty from ashes. He is a God of restoration and redemption.

 One of my old favorite bands, Switchfoot, writes:

Sunshine, come and help me sing
My heart is darker than these oceans
My heart is frozen underneath
...
Oh Lord, why did you forsake me?
Oh Lord, don't be far away away
Storm clouds gathering beside me
Please Lord, don't look the other way
...
The shadow proves the sunshine
The shadow proves the sunshine

Although you might be in the middle of the shadow right now, and darkness clouds everything around you, that very shadow that seems to be holding you down is proving that the sunshine (God's glory and promise of new life) is standing right behind that darkness.

linking up with:





Button
The Southern Institute





Button

6 comments:

  1. oh so lovely. Love the message and the project. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute and simple project. I'd love for you to stop by Etcetorize and share this at the Make it Great Monday linky party (http://etcetorize.blogspot.com). It's open now~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I'm going to go doodle on some paper now! Thanks for linking up to A Pinteresting Party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute--I have a large square vase that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The paper is on the inside? and you're burning a candle inside? How are you keeping it from catching fire? I love this - but not sure about the fire issue.

    ReplyDelete